Back to top
At a glance
- Step 3 of the Framework provides guidance on generating and assessing options to address the problems identified and prioritised in Step 2.
- The purpose of this step is to:
- Generate a full range of reform and investment options that consider supply and demand factors
- Narrow down a long list of possible options to a preferred option, using a three–tiered assessment process: Strategic Merit Test (SMT), rapid appraisal and detailed appraisal.
- Recommended tools are provided for each tier of the options assessment process.
- This step should result in the selection of a preferred option (or package of options) that is supported by a rich set of information about its impacts, benefits and costs.
- Information about relationships between individual initiatives (independence, complementarity, substitutability) can assist decision-makers to appropriately classify initiatives and submit them for appraisal.