Step 1: Goals, objectives, targets and KPIs
Step 1: Goals, objectives, targets and KPIs PDF: 948 KB
At a glance
- Step 1 of the ATAP Framework aims to establish a clear and integrated set of goals and objectives, and set realistic targets and performance indicators that enable progress to be monitored and evaluated.
- Step 1 is separated into two parts:
- 1a focuses on goals – which are a jurisdiction’s highest level societal and whole-of-government desired outcomes, covering the economic, social and environmental triple bottom line
- 1b then considers supporting transport system objectives, targets and KPIs.
- This critical first step sets the context for all subsequent steps of work. It stimulates strategic thinking and establishes a sound foundation for integrated and best practice planning.
- Five linked stages comprise Step 1:
- Identify goals
- Define objectives
- Set targets and performance indicators
- Confirm strategic integration
- Identify integrated planning opportunities
- These stages have a strong focus on strategic alignment and integration to ensure transport strategies, policies, plans and specific initiatives contribute to the achievement goals and transport system objectives. They also reflect Infrastructure Australia’s Reform and Investment Framework (RIF), which aims to align goals, objectives and targets across national, state and territory governments.